The 2017 WIAA boys state basketball tournament March 16-18 involves three area teams in the Now/Lake Country area: Brookfield Central and Arrowhead in Division 1 and Cedarburg in Division 2.
The three teams play in state semifinal games Friday at the Kohl Center in Madison.
Brookfield Central (24-2) and Arrowhead (21-5) meet up in one Division 1 semifinal at approximately 8:15 p.m. Before that game, the first Division 1 semifinal features two-time defending state champion Stevens Point (22-4) and three-time state champion Madison Memorial (23-3).
Earlier in the day, Cedarburg (24-2) plays City Conference champion Milwaukee Washington (22-4) in a Division 2 state semifinal. Tip-off is scheduled for approximately 3:15 p.m.
Follow our live blog during the action on Friday as our sports reporters tweet from the games and stay with www.LakeCountryNow.com (Arrowhead), www.Brookfield-ElmGroveNow.com (Brookfield Central) and www.MyOzaukeeNow.com (Cedarburg) for game stories, photo galleries and more.
To get you ready for the games, here's five facts about each team and related links centered around their state runs.
- Brookfield Central is at state for the first time since 2008.
- The Lancers were champions of the Greater Metro Conference with a 12-2 record.
- Coach Dan Wandrey has been named GMC coach of the year.
- Leading scorer Gage Malensek (20.3 points per game) is shooting a scorching 56.4 percent on the season.
- Of the four Division 1 teams at state, the Lancers are the only No. 1-seeded team from its sectional.
RELATED: Wandrey the perfect fit at Central
RELATED: Central wins conference title
- Arrowhead returns to state for the first time since winning the gold ball in 2010.
- The Warhawks won the Classic 8 Conference with a 13-1 record.
- Arrowhead is a senior-laden squad and starts all seniors.
- Led by senior Ben Seefeld, the Warhawks average 75.5 points per game (AHS has scored more than 80 points eight times this season).
- Four players score in double figures: Seefeld (17.8), Trevell Cunningham (15.9), Alec Hamilton (11.8) and Marko Matejic (10.2).
- Cedarburg is at state for the first time since 1999.
- The Bulldogs won the North Shore Conference with a perfect 14-0 record (team's first outright league title since 1967).
- Cedarburg is led by the 1-2 scoring punch of North Shore Player of the Year John Diener (21.5 points per game) and Jordan Johnson (19.3).
- The Bulldogs avenged its 22-point 2016 sectional final loss to Kaukauna by edging the Galloping Ghosts, 78-75, this year in the title game.
- Cedarburg has been tested in the postseason: its last three wins have been by an average of 2.33 points per game.
A video slideshow previewing the area teams (Brookfield Central and Arrowhead in Division 1 and Cedarburg in Division 2) that are playing in the 2017 WIAA state boys basketball tournament. Christopher Kuhagen/Now Media Group
Other Basketball Info
ROUNDBALL RANKINGS: JR Radcliffe's weekly overview of all of the Milwaukee-area teams
ALL-TIME SCORING LIST: A look at the most prolific scorers in our coverage area
GIRLS TOURNAMENT: Travis Wilson recaps the girls tournament in Green Bay