A Mequon resident is facing three counts of second-degree reckless homicide and one count of reckless injury in addition to eight additional counts relating to a hit-and-run crash Oct. 23 in Milwaukee.

The additional eight counts against Jasen Randhawa are related to the hit-and-run as well as operating a vehicle with a revoked license, according to a criminal complaint filed in Milwaukee County Circuit Court. His license was revoked due to a previous OWI incident from 2015.

All 12 counts add up to nearly 200 years of prison time and/or more than $700,000 in fines if he is convicted.

The crash occurred at 200 West Clybourn Street near North Second Street in Milwaukee and claimed the lives of three people and injured a fourth in a Ford sedan.  Police received multiple 911 calls starting at 2:34 a.m. regarding the crash with one caller reported two men fled on foot, according to the complaint.

The Milwaukee Fire Department found four people in a four-door sedan, two had died on-scene and one was taken to Froedert Hospital and died a short time later.

The driver was injured and also taken to Froedert.  In the complaint, he said he is a part-time Uber driver and had picked up three women in the Brady Street area, and was taking them to their hotel. He said he noticed headlights in his peripheral vision on his left and the next thing he knew, medical personnel were assisting him with his injuries.

According to the complaint, the sedan was allegedly struck by a Lexus SUV leased to Randhawa's brother.  According to data from the SUV, it was traveling at 63 miles per hour prior to the impact -- 33 miles per hour more than the speed limit.

The man who allegedly ran with Randhawa said in the complaint he was a passenger in the Lexus and following the accident, he and Randhawa ran to the train station, where they caught a taxicab.  A taxicab video showed Randhawa being picked up at the Amtrak station at 433 W. St. Paul, 0.3 miles from the crash.  In the video, he admitted to being drunk.

One of Randhawa's friends gave a statement to police saying Randhawa called him that morning and told him he was in a car accident and he was drunk.  According to the complaint, Randhawa wanted his friend to go with him to get his brother's car.

The friend met with Randhawa and another male at a restaurant. He said they attempted to locate the car and eventually ended up at Randhawa's residence, where they saw police outside. The group then returned to the restaurant where they'd originally met up, the complaint said.

A second taxicab video shows the three men attempting to locate the crashed Lexus. According to the complaint, the video shows Randhawa debating filing a fake police report saying the vehicle was stolen or driving it away from the scene once found. Randhawa also said in the video he thinks he should go to a hospital because he's "never been in more pain" and he was worried his blood might be on the airbag.

Later that morning, according to the complaint, Randhawa's friend learned of fatalities related to the crash and immediately contacted police.

According to online court records, Randhawa's preliminary hearing is scheduled for Nov. 7.

Read or Share this story: