LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Mequon — What has been deemed a prank call that prompted a lock down at two area schools Jan. 25 is under investigation by Mequon police.

Police officials said a call was received by a young male who indicated someone had been shot in the 11100 block of N. Range Line Road at about 11:50 a.m. Jan. 25.

The road was subsequently shut down for about 45 minutes and Range Line, Lakeshore and Lumen Christi schools were notified to go on a lock down while officers investigated a call, according to a news release.

Officers made contact with residents of several home in the area and could not locate any evidence of a shooting or victim, the release said. The call was deemed a prank and police are continuing to investigate in order to find a caller.

The road and schools were reopened at about 12:35 p.m.

'We take these types of calls very seriously,' Mequon Police Chief Steve Graff said. 'While the person who made the call may find it amusing, this is a dangerous situation that puts many people at risk, including the responding officers and the community at large.'

Investigators will make every attempt to identify the prank caller and the appropriate criminal charges will be filed accordingly, he added.

Read or Share this story: http://www.myozaukeenow.com/story/news/local/mequon/2016/01/25/prank-call-reported-alleged-shooting-prompts-closure-of-range-line-road-three-schools-jan-25/87153682/