Mequon — A 15-year-old boy is in custody as Mequon police investigate a threat that was made on social media and directed at Homestead High School Jan. 22.

The threat, which was reportedly made using a social media app identified as "whatsgoodly," was first reported to Mequon police just after 4:30 p.m. Jan. 21, according to a release by the police department.

The Mequon Police Department, with help from the Ozaukee County District Attorney's Office, began an investigation into the threat and identified a potential subject, who was arrested the morning of Jan. 22, the release said.

Shortly after 5 a.m. Jan. 22, Mequon police entered a Mequon home, where they later took the boy into custody. It is believed the boy was acting alone, according to the release, which added that officials believe the boy was not going to take the action any further.

Charges of making a bomb threat and unlawful use of a computerized communication system will be sought in Washington County court.

Mequon Police wish to emphasize that there is no further concern for any students or staff of the Mequon-Thiensville School District, or the community, related to this incident, the release said.

In the meantime, Mequon officials are emphasizing there is no further concern over safety for students, staff or the community.

Students did not need to report to school on Jan. 22, after Superintendent Demond Means addressed parents in a Jan. 21 letter explaining the situation.

The district worked with the police department to investigate the threat, the letter stated, which was made and subsequently deleted from social media.

The district provided an update to parents on Jan. 22, which indicated that the school district "intends to levy discipline to the fullest extent available."

"Thank you for your patience as we worked through this unfortunate situation," said Means, in the letter. "I would also like to extend our collective appreciation to local law enforcement....While the cancellation of school is never ideal, the safety of our students and staff is paramount."

Evening activities at the school will continue as planned, but will have a heightened level of security, Means said.

All other schools remained open Jan. 22.

No further information will be released until next week, as investigators finish up interviews and reports.

Read or Share this story: