MEQUON - The Mequon man charged in relation to the Oct. 23 hit-and-run deaths of three women pleaded guilty Feb. 13 to three felony counts of second-degree reckless homicide and one count of second-degree reckless injury.
Jasen Randhawa, 23, was originally facing an additional eight counts related to the hit-and-run as well as operating a vehicle with a revoked license, according to the complaint. His license was revoked due to a previous OWI incident from 2015.
Those eight counts were dismissed due to plea negotiations, according to court records.
Randhawa originally pleaded not guilty on Nov. 7.
Randhawa, driving an SUV, crashed into an Uber sedan around 2:30 a.m. at 200 West Clybourn Street near North Second Street going 63 mph in a 30 mph zone, according to a criminal complaint.
The three women – Amy C. Taylor, Lindsey B. Cohn, and Ashley L. Sawatzke – died from the crash. Two were found dead on-scene and one later died at Froedtert Hospital, according to the complaint.
The Uber driver was treated for serious injuries at the hospital.
According to the complaint, Randhawa and a passenger allegedly fled following the crash. A friend told police he was contacted that morning by Randhawa, who’d said he was drunk and had been in a car accident.
The friend met with Randhawa and another man, and attempted to locate the vehicle. A taxicab video shows the three men attempting to locate the SUV with Randhawa debating filing a fake police report, talking about being in a lot of pain, and expressing worry his blood might be on the airbag, according to the complaint.
Later that morning, Randhawa’s friend contacted police when he learned of the fatalities.
According to online court records, Randhawa will be sentenced May 19.